18 Fascinating Facts About Marilyn Monroe
1. Her birth name was Norma Jean Mortenson.
2. Her father was absent throughout her life.
3. Her grandmother was committed to a hospital for mental disturbances on August 4, 1927. Marilyn died thirty-five years later, plus one day, on August 5th. (29)
Fears of going mad like her grandmother and mother would haunt her throughout her life.
4. She stuttered on occasion throughout her life.
5. She was sent to an orphanage when she was nine years old.
The reason she was sent to an orphanage was because her mother was hospitalized for mental issues. The issues were so debilitating for her mother that it caused her mother to spend most of the rest of her life inside some kind of mental institution.
6. Was married to her first husband, Jim Dougherty, when she was only sixteen years old. They would stay married for four years.
7. How the stage name Marilyn Monroe was created. (100)
The stage name, Marilyn Monroe, was created with the help of Ben Lyon, the head of new talent at Fox Studios. The name Marilyn was chosen because he said to her, “You are to me a Marilyn,” which was based off a woman, Marilyn Miller, he knew who starred in musicals in New York. She then asked if she could use her grandmother’s last name, Monroe. And that is how Marilyn Monroe came into being.
8. She had minor plastic surgery done.
She had a small nose job done in 1950, a surgery that left her nose “lifted a notch,” and “some cartilage was placed in her jaw to make her chin line stronger.”
9. She attempted suicide for the first time (known first attempt) after Johnny Hyde died in December 1950.
Johnny Hyde was a super agent who she was seeing romantically and who was also her agent. She credited him throughout her life with building her career and jump starting her path to fame.
Hyde loved Marilyn so much that he wanted to marry her after he had a heart attack so that when he died she would be covered financially. She declined because she wasn’t “in love” with him.
10. She was notorious for always being late.
Now on to the pics!